See Copyright and Usage Notice
Hot Sites: What in the World is Going On?
Figure 7.111: awn3d.jpg
Thereís an advertisement in the New World Times.
In AlphaWorld, the newsstand objects often point to a site on the World Wide Web. Just have your Web browser running and left-click on a newsstand, and you will launch that Web site! One very important Web site to visit is the New World Times at http://www.synergycorp.com/alphaworld/nwt/, which is AlphaWorldís first and still most popular newspaper. The figure above shows an advertisement from the New World Times, which gives you a good idea of what some citizens are up to.
Figure 7.112: awn3g.jpg
Paul Kleeís art gallery is in Colony Alpha.
Paul Klee built and hosts an art gallery in Colony Alpha, another Active World which you can reach from AlphaWorld. Paul features new artists and holds regular openings. He captures the work of a featured artist by scanning photographs of paintings in and placing the resulting images on the walls of his gallery.
Figure 7.113: awn5a.jpg
A sculpture garden
This magnificent sculpture garden was constructed by students as a project for Dr. Derrick Woodham in a class at the University of Cincinnati and features modernistic, geometric, urban sculpture.
Active Worlds is evolving many new services all the time. I suggest you check out the New World Times or your Avatars! book Web site for up-to-date links.
Hot AlphaWorld Web Site Services
Note that some of these Web page links may have changed or the Web pages may have been discontinued. Consult your Avatars! book home page at http://www.digitalspace.com/avatars for a more up-to-date list of links.
Home page of Active Worlds: http://www.activeworlds.com.
The New World Times newspaper. See it at http://www.synergycorp.com/alphaworld/nwt/.
Original Web Of Worlds Destinations within AlphaWorld and other Active Worlds. See it at http://www.worlds.net/webofworlds/destinations.html.
Original Worlds Inc. AlphaWorld citizen Web pages. See it at http://www.worlds.net/alphaworld/aw-links.html.
Many more links are listed on the Avatars! book Web site. See it at http://www.digitalspace.com/avatars. Also check the Contact Consortium Hot Links page at http://www.ccon.org/hotlinks/hotlinks.html#alphalinks.
Some unofficial citizen pages
- The AlphaWorld Mania Page, good web links and teleport links for AlphaWorld.
- Tazunu's AlphaWorld Page shows a little of his phenomenal Japanese Castle...definitely worth a visit.
- Colony Alpha is open for business!
- Visit Piazza for a preview of what's coming in a new world!
- Laurel's Cyber Gardening in AlphaWorld page shows some of the really cool stuff she has built in AW.
- Don "Geek" Braithwaite's AlphaWorld Powwow Tribe is a must for Powwow users!
- The AlphaWorld Motor Car Company page shows some innovation with basic models to do interesting stuff...CARS!
- Peter de Jong's page shows some evidence of building skill. (Also linked to a Dutch version.)
- King Henry's AlphaWorld page is just starting, stay tuned for more!
- The Contact Consortium is getting into AlphaWorld in a big way, building Sherwood Forest Towne!
- Circle of Fire is developing their own AlphaWorld "zone" and will help others develop new worlds.
- NetGuy's AlphaWorld Pages include the AW "Police Department" page and info about the
- whole "Order" incident.
- The community of AlphaBurg is an interesting project.
- Moria's Necropolis Page is about the coolest web page about AW yer gonna see, folks. Pack Netscape v. 2.0 with ya, all plugins (in fact, the NS2 dl too) are linked from this page.
- Sopwith's AlphaWorld Page is making my job easier! Includes: Web Page Teleport directions, a tour of AlphaWorld, the new AlphaWorld Atlas, and more!
- The Neo-AlphaWorld Page is just starting up, has some cool pics of Neophyte's house.
- Visit Club 319 for some interesting links and humor.
- TNP's AlphaWorld Model Guide. A very useful tool during construction!
- The Lencelot Times is a brand new community newspaper for Lencelotville.
- Dharma Bum's AlphaWorld Page shows some of his outstanding work in AW.
- Ryoma Sakomoto's AlphaWorld Page is new, improved, and cool! Ryoma is the builder of Legacy Palace, if you haven't seen it check it out! (72S 30W way high up)
- Enigma's Adrenaline Vault page is one of the most innovative on the web, use Netscape 2.x or better yet Microsoft Internet Explorer to see it at its best. Also see the New Improved Adrenaline Vault in AlphaWorld, it's subterranean with an entrance above ground at 8S, 24E.
- Queue's Adventure Page is a VR-happ'nin spot...and his Cool Spots in AlphaWorld page is a good place to list your site, looks as if he is just getting it up.
- Grover's AlphaWorld web page is up! Grover is one of Alpha's oldest citizens and also the mayor of a new town, Lock Haven.
- Get Loose with Louie at Louie's Bar and Grill. Features cool MIDI files.
- The Duke Of Zircon's AlphaWorld page... we have enough royalty for several worlds here.
Digiís Diary: Our Future in Digital Space
Figure 114: awrega.jpg
DigiGardener marches fearlessly into a digital future.
Where will the lure of the virtual take us? Your guess is as good as anyoneís!
During the creation of this book, I spent months going in and out of AlphaWorld, and every other virtual world I could find. Because I could build and leave my own mark in AlphaWorld, I experienced first-hand my own psychological and emotional attachment to the spaces I created. Building my own sites changed the way I looked at the world. I would catch myself saying, ìmy those trees and shrubs are arranged beautifully, wait a minute, thatís a real forest!î I found that working and living in digital space puts a heavy workload on the mind, a kind of virtual brain fatigue. In the coming years, new equipment such as affordable stereovision goggles will make the experience in virtual worlds almost totally immersive. Everywhere you look you will see the digital landscape. The only thing that seems guaranteed is that these worlds will become richer, and that many more people will be drawn into them.
Where will the siren song of the virtual eventually lead us? Off this world and into the digital space? Out of our bodies and into a higher mind? Your own journey into digital realms will be a very personal experience, unlike anyone elseís. Perhaps the answers to these questions will emerge within the a collective mind we create through this medium.
DigiGardener marches on! See you in the next world!